Summer is in full swing, and to avoid harmful UV radiation, we need to use broad-spectrum sunscreen with SPF 30 and higher. The good news is the brands have finally decided to combine UV filters with useful skincare ingredients in one formula. That means we can protect our skin and work with targeting concerns at the s. Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel is one of these products, and we are excited to take it under our professional review. So, keep reading to absorb all the valuable information and make your own conclusion.
Is Isntree Sun Gel Physical or Chemical?
Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel is a multifunctional sun-protective product from Korea. On Amazon, it ranks in the top 22 in the sunscreen category and has many positive reviews from loyal customers. This sounds promising, but we would prefer to dive deeper into the product formulation to ensure it really works.
Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel has broad-spectrum chemical filters with SPF 50 and PA ++++. When applied to the skin, it turns both UVA and UVB radiation into heat, and the heat dissipates from the skin. Why is it so important? According to a study from The Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, UV rays have a suppressive effect on the skin, increasing the risk of skin cancer. Thus, it is best to wear broad-spectrum sunscreen while staying outdoors.
Many people believe that chemical sunscreens are not safe and can cause hormonal disruption. The reason for such a worry is that chemical filters can be absorbed deep through the skin. However, the FDA checked the safety of all active ingredients used in sunscreens today and said it would allow them under certain conditions. It sounds intriguing, but our product came from Korea, where they have different regulations. So let’s check what chemical agents Isntree uses in its formula.
Overview of Isntree Sun Gel Ingredients
- Ethylhexyl Salicylate is not a strong protector against UVB rays, but it can stabilize and prolong the action of other UV filters. The component has a good safety profile and can be used in concentrations up to 5%.
- Homosalate is a common UVB filter in the US market. Weak and not photostable. It is approved by the FDA and can be used in concentrations up to 15%.
- Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine is a broad-spectrum chemical filter. It can be officially used in Europe in concentrations up to 10%, but still waiting for FDA approval in the USA. According to a study in 2019, it can carry potential environmental toxicological risks.
- Methylene Bis-Benzotriazolyl Tetramethylbutylphenol is a “hybrid,” meaning it has physical and chemical UV protective properties. As a previous component, this filter is not authorized in the USA and can be potentially toxic for marine organisms.
- Polysilicone-15 is a chemical filter that protects the skin from UVB rays and can stabilize unstable UVA filters. It is approved in Europe and most parts of the world, except for the United States.
- Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate is an organic compound used in sunscreens to absorb UVA. It is safe for the skin and has no adverse environmental effects. This filter is only approved in Asia and the European Union and is not authorized in the USA.
Skin Care Active Ingredients
Besides UV filters, Isntree sun gel has a bunch of lovely ingredients that improve hydration and skin barrier integrity. Scroll down to learn more about each of them.
- Niacinamide, aka vitamin B3, is a multi-faceted essential nutrient that helps build proteins and protects the skin from environmental stressors.
- Pinus Pinaster Bark Extract comes from French maritime pine. It is rich in antioxidants and can act as an effective anti-inflammatory agent.
- Centella Asiatica Extract is an Indian plant that can improve circulation and increase skin resilience.
- Portulaca Oleracea Extract comes from a Korean succulent plant. On the skin, it calms irritation, reduces inflammation, and protects from UV rays.
- Houttuynia Cordata Extract comes from an Indian leafy herb rich in moisturizing, soothing, and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Olea Europaea Fruit Oil comes from the ripe fruit of the olive. It is rich in antioxidants, fatty acids, and vitamins, making it especially nourishing for people with dry skin.
- Ficus Carica Fruit Extract comes from Fig. According to a study in 2014, it can affect skin melanin, regulate hydration levels, and control sebum production.
- Tocopherol, aka vitamin E, is a powerful fat-soluble antioxidant with emollient properties.
- Hyaluronic Acid is one of the most popular hydrating ingredients that can help temporarily increase skin moisture and improve its appearance.
- Ceramide NP is a pure ceramide similar to one found in the human body. On the skin, it strengthens the skin barrier, improves hydration, and protects from external aggressors.
- Glycerin is a natural compound derived from animal fats, plants, or petroleum. It acts as a humectant, which means it has the property of attracting moisture.
How to Use Isntree Sun Gel?
Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel doesn’t have special instructions and can be used as any regular sunscreen. You should apply it 15 minutes before leaving home and reapply every 2 hours while staying outside. If you have oily or combination skin, it is always best to use blotting paper beforehand.
Is Isntree Sun Gel Water Resistant?
No. You should reapply it every 2 hours and every time after swimming.
Is Isntree Sunscreen Good for Oily Skin?
No. Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel contains pore-clogging Olea Europaea Fruit Oil that can cause acne in folks with oily skin.
Pros of Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel
- Provides a high level of sun protection
- Makes the skin look fresh and dewy
- Hydrates and reduces the redness
- Easily absorbs into the skin
- Doesn’t leave a white cast
- Vegan and cruelty-free
- Reasonable price
- Alcohol- and fragrance-free
Cons of Isntree Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel
- Not suitable for oily acne-prone skin.
- FDA does not approve some UV filters in Isntree sun gel
- Some UV filters in Isntree sun gel can be potentially toxic to the environment